torsdag 21 september 2017

Folio Society Updates: LE The Count of Monte Cristo & Double Philip K. Dick!

After the quite underwhelming Autumn Collection (for some people), the Folio Society has decided to bring out two new titles today. A 500 copies limited edition of Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo and a two cover, double illustrated, colour frenzied thing of madness! It is of course Philip K. Dick's two dystopian science-fiction works, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep together with A Scanner Darkly. 

The Count of Monte Cristo - Limited Edition

But why not talk a bit about the limited edition of The Count of Monte Cristo first. The book is bound in goatskin leather, it is signed by the artist Roman Pisarev. But honestly, does it not look a bit like a more cleaned up Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Collection Edition?
I have yet to read The Count of Monte Cristo, but this LE does not really intrigue me at all. Don't get me wrong, I like the low limitation number, signature and the illustrations but the resemblance to other, much cheaper, leatherbound books don't really attract me.

Limited Edition of The Count of Monte Cristo

I'm sure both Monte Cristo enthusiasts and Pisarev fans will like the book quite a bit though. The price is also not half bad at £195!

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep & A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick

Another book joins the trio of Folio Society's "collectors edition" at the gripping price of £75. So far we have Dune, The Call of Cthulhu..., and American Gods. I own just that trio myself but I will not plunge for this edition (at least not right now, but probably in the future).
Being quarter-bound in a... interesting, almost neon-green cloth, with paper(!) sides, I just don't feel it right now. The half-gimmicky idea of having two novels, each on the opposite side of the book is refreshing(?) and I do like the idea from the Folio Society.
Having not read any Dick myself either, I guess that also play a role on me not being that interested.


Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep together with A Scanner Darkly. 
The illustrations? Looks top, and I also appreciate Folio Society making a video showing the book together with a little talk with the artists. Pretty awesome!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All-in-all an exciting day for Folio Society lovers. I do think that the Philip K. Dick edition will be fairly popular among many science-fiction readers.
But for now I don't think we will see more books until the Christmas Collection in November/December (unless they sneak in a Bond or a Austen book, that is). Might also be time to rest your wallets until the New Year Sale. That is my recommendation!

2 kommentarer:

  1. I completely agree about The Count of Monte Cristo. I was so excited when I heard they had annnounced it as a limited edition, but so very disappointed when I saw the pictures. It looks like a very amateurish attempt at a sophisticated binding. It’s also possible that it intentionally looks like a Barnes and Noble book considering how popular they are. I guess I’ll just have to go back to dreaming about the Easton Press edition.

    SvaraRadera
  2. To my surprise it seems like The Count... will sell out in the next few days! 500 copies gone in just over a week. Apparently a very popular edition, and the binding design might be the cause, as you said. I wonder if the FS will continue with similar editions like this one for upcoming limited editions.

    SvaraRadera